My go-to cupcake recipe
This recipe always make delicious moist cupcakes, and has never failed me.
- 125g plain flour
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g soft butter or margarine
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp vanilla essence (I usually just use a capful)
Mix all the ingredients together in a big bowl using an electric mixer or wooden spoon.
Then spoon heaped teaspoons of the mixture into cupcakes cases in a muffin or cupcake tin.
Place in a preheated oven at 180C and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown and when the top of the cake bounces back when you lightly press it.
- chocolate chips! (see second photo)
- make the cakes chocolate flavour by adding a few tablespoons of cocoa powder, and perhaps taking away the same amount of flour so the cakes stay nice and moist.
- make the cakes lemon flavour by adding freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest
- make the cakes coffee flavour by adding a little instant coffee mixed with hot water. you could add chopped walnuts too.
- swirl some jam through the cake mixture for a slightly fruity cupcake.
For icing, I usually do butter icing, or sometimes glacé icing.
I also usually roughly guess the amounts for butter icing, but as a basis, try 125g softened butter to maybe 400g icing sugar with a dash of milk - that will give you delicious butter icing, but more than you need for 12 cakes! You can add food colouring, or flavouring if you like, and add sprinkles on top to make the cakes look super cute. I like to pipe icing on in swirls.
For glacé icing, literally just mix a few teaspoons of water (or lemon juice for lemon icing) into a load of icing sugar. Keep adding water or icing sugar till you have the consistency you want, then put on the cupcakes when they’ve cooled.
- Grate chocolate over the cupcakes while they’re still warm and it’ll melt and look all speckly
- Alternatively, grate it and sprinkle over the icing. Or use regular colourful sprinkles, or sweets, maybe some edible glitter if you can find it!
- If you want the cupcakes pretty plain, dust them with a bit of icing sugar to keep it simple.
- simple-plan-ruined-my-life likes this
- white--swan likes this
- justtrandomstuff reblogged this from lifeandtimesofaunistudent
- aziajanelle likes this
- batsbaby likes this
- theplebeian likes this
- whateverio likes this
- pink-daishies likes this
- withoutanysound reblogged this from mildlyanxiousatthedisco
- borrowed-splenda likes this
- prettiestdeputy likes this
- jammnm likes this
- i-hate-soggy-cereal reblogged this from mildlyanxiousatthedisco
- salaaaaad reblogged this from mildlyanxiousatthedisco
- spontaneous-rainbows reblogged this from mildlyanxiousatthedisco
- thaliagraze likes this
- imcoveredinyou likes this
- justfck likes this
- aasplace likes this
- hollowedhead likes this
- ycrystal reblogged this from lifeandtimesofaunistudent
- ycrystal likes this
- lifeandtimesofaunistudent posted this